December 9, 2012

Sticky MAC Addresses


Sticky MAC addresses are addresses that are dynamically learned once and remain stick to the port, we can adjust the max number of sticky MAC addresses to a single interface. the use of this feature is in large networks usually where we cant afford to waste time doing manual mac addresses to port mapping.

Let us apply this concept on packet tracer.

 1
Let us set up a topology. Apply PCs with the IP addresses dynamically with the DHCP server set on the Server.

2

DHCP server setup on server.
 3
Assigning IP to PCs.

 4

Now, let us apply Sticky Mac address to the following interface of switch which is currently attach to PC1. It is interface fa 0/3.
5

The following commands will apply this concept.
 6

Go to enable mode. Apply command,  show running-config.

7

Now, we do not have MAC address of PC here.
For this, remove the interface from PC1 attach it to another PC as shown in the figure below.

 8

Request for DHCP.

9

Now. we have mac address and our port is sticky as shown in figure below.

10

MAC address of PC.

12

Now, re connect to PC1 and request for IP address. It has failed and it has also shutdown the interface because MAC address does not match with the MAC address of the port.
13


12 comments:

  1. Great post . thanks for providing such important information about MAC Address

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that sticky mac address it seems very interesting where can i get more information about it?

    Thanks
    Silvester Norman

    Changing MAC Address

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to Change a Computer's Mac Address in Windows

    https://youtu.be/hxaYX7dL6Ho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.
    เรียน ged ที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a reason why I bought a Mac, it was not to be one of the cool kids that wanted the best of the best. No it was because of the music production I do on it. Hours and hours sitting in front of my Mac copying, pasting, moving, deleting, hour after hour just beating on my Mac in a endless assault to get my work done. That is the key part, my work. I work from home, it is great, but even if it is from home it is still work and it still needs to get done. So my Mac, I have it because it is fast, gets the job done and comes back for more.

    But what happens when it doesn't want to do those things anymore?

    I move around massive amounts of information and yes even on the almighty Mac this can cause a problem after a while. Things fragment, programs get corrupted issues come up. My light speed Mac slows down to a crawl and all of the sudden I simply can not get any work done. Because I work from home there is no IT guy to call and ask to come fix it. No instead I have to figure out what is wrong. I am lucky, I did, but not after trying everything under the sun first and wasting countless hours looking for one program that can do what I needed instead of ten programs. One program to lead them all….okay that was a lame Lord of the rings reference, but that program was/is Detox My Mac. A simple to use program that did not just fix my issues, it put my Mac on overdrive again. A few clicks and my Mac was clean and ready to rock and roll again.

    Read more here:- http://detox-my-mac.com?duhhf9265hskfhf98346





    ReplyDelete
  6. CCNA training London

    We are leading cisco ccna trainin gprovider in London. We provide all the cisco courses including cisco ccna, ccna security.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is easy to understand, detailed and meticulous! I have had a lot of harvest after watching this article from you! I feel it interesting, your post gave me a new perspective! I have read many other articles about the same topic, but your article convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's truly awesome and I like to read this type of impressing article. So I like to thank you for sharing a great article. Computer Cables

    ReplyDelete

C program to Read From a File

#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void main() {     FILE *fptr;     char filename[15];     char ch;   ...